19.3.07


Lessons Learned

Almost all I could come up with has to do with food!! (figures…no?)

I have really learned (or more likely only begun to learn) how to really eat. How to appreciate the rhythm of a meal, the dance of flavours, the marrying of wine with meat, fruit and cheese, the importance of taste over sustenance, the threads of conversation that tie a truly elegant and leisurely meal together like the silken threads of the most elegant butterfly…

To select ingredients for their quality and to only begin to appreciate the value of the taste, to discriminate the very good from the mediocre and the poor…

To appreciate beautifully set table, fine linens and china, a wine glass that sings with quality within and without…

How to cook Terrines and Viennoiserie (pastry) including croissants and pain chocolat, brioche, (coming for coffee??)

How to select, present, eat and appreciate fermier cheeses,

What is a raclette, how to eat a fondue,

To drink wine if even only a little bit with most dinners, to anticipate and appreciate the taste, and to appreciate the relaxed glow imbibed by a well chosen glass…

I have learned how to select spices and prepare a traditional pot au feu to cook over the fire so ever slowly until the meat is so delicate and tender that it falls off the bones…even to cook some meats twice enjoying the rich savory taste…

Perfected Beouf Bourgignon …wow…all I can say...who knew??

Don’t waste time, savour every moment and every morsel…







6 comments:

oreneta said...

My Dearest,

As long as I have known you you have displayed a rare talent for the creation and presentation oan enjoyment of beautiful meals, and you are THE most gracious hostess, and guest I have ever met, so while you may have discovered new levels of skill and appreciation, you have always in my books, displayed amazing skill and judgement. And maybe you know how to spell that ju...word too. Seems I don't.

You are a delight.

Beth said...

I am totally unlike you when it comes to food preparation and presentation, entertaining, wines, etc. - but having read this beautifully written post, I wish I did aspire to such graciousness and skill.

Unknown said...

Um ... I usually enjoy pouring my cereal in the morning. And I'm good at it, too. I rarely spill a thing.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, you're making me hungry! I miss the food...especially your food.

Kari Lee Townsend said...

Wow, you amaze me. Wish I could cook like that. I'm sure my family wishes it too.

oreneta said...

Well hon, as if you don't have enough to do right now, I'm tagging you with an expat meme...see it on my site, March 23rd...if blogger uses European time?

Snapshot

My photo
Paris, France
A Canadian expatriate living and exploring first France now Germany, then BACK to FRANCE (!!!) with her family; former fashion designer, turned unexpected UNLIKELY NOMAD, raising two children, writing, photographing, painting, playing piano (who knew!!) and blogging - and now... full time student at ART SCHOOL!! (I MUST be crazy!!)